As a preeminent oncology provider, Duke Medicine advances the health and well-being of the people they serve through integrated, innovative, and compassionate care. The new seven-story LEED Gold certified Cancer Center on the Duke University Medical Center campus creates spaces that allow for privacy, rejuvenation, choice, humanistic scale, feel and experience, communication, and collaboration.
- Consolidation of clinical cancer services, improved entry experience, and flexibility for future expansion.
- Family-centered care is achieved by creating a welcoming, healing environment focused on comfort and convenience for the patient and family.
- Multi-disciplinary, “no ownership” model of shared clinical modules.
- Efficient systems, high-performance envelope and shading strategies combine to achieve a reduction in energy use exceeding 20%.
- Interior design elements represent a strong commitment to healthy environments through the selection of non-toxic, low-VOC and PVC-free materials.
- Numerous connections to the outdoors including a landscaped healing garden located near the infusion center provide areas of respite for staff and families.