Washington University Medical Center includes Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children’s Hospital, BJC HealthCare and the School of Medicine. The Medical Center (WUMC) is planning a series of strategic new construction and renovation projects totaling more than one million square feet. Working with Executive Architect, HOK, TK&A is focused on the planning and design of the first phase of the Campus Renewal Project that includes an expansion of St. Louis Children’s hospital beds and diagnostics and treatments services, and the development of a comprehensive women and infants program. TK&A's scope of work comprises 320,000 square feet and includes 54 ante and postpartum beds, 18 LDRs, 96 pediatric inpatient beds, and 132 NICU beds.
- Establish a distinctive sense of place that reflects clinical excellence.
- Create ideal patient and family experiences that are innovative, intuitive, and safe; interaction with this Patient Family Advisory Council (PFAC) allowed the team to focus on elements that provide value to the user.
- Ensure supportive environments for physicians, nurses, and staff.
- Provide flexibility for programmatic growth, new technologies, and future models of care.
- Identify opportunities to reduce costs through standardization, shared resources, and institutional collaboration; TK&A led and participated in multiple Lean workshops and 3P events to better align operations and expectations.