Cornell’s University Health Services creates a new model for campus healthcare by fully integrating physical and behavioral health programs and promoting them as an essential part of student life. The project unifies all university health services programs in one location and expands their capacity.
- Presents a welcoming image, capitalizes on pedestrian traffic along the student services corridor, and creates a visual relationship with the existing context.
- Hierarchy of transparency—highly transparent exterior, translucent administrative zone, and opaque care zone—responds to program needs.
- Integrated Health Services modules include staff support spaces arranged around the perimeter of each module and exam and support spaces centralized in the middle of the “racetrack” plan.
- New pedestrian circulation path introduced through the building offers opportunities for impromptu interactions.
- Building is designed to achieve at minimum a LEED Silver rating (or equivalent) by the U.S. Green Building Council.